Tuesday, September 4, 2012

My Love of Cinnamon...


I have a deep passion for cinnamon....

I love it in candles, and room scents but my greatest love of cinnamon is in food!
There is something comforting and familiar about the scents of something cinnamon baking in my oven. I am thrilled that my little nephew loves it almost as much as I do because that means I can bake special treats for him and every last bite will be savored and deeply appreciated.

So in honor of dear cinnamon I thought I would share a very simple, yet delicious recipe that I have recently acquired. It is probably my favorite morning treat. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Mini pull-apart Monkey Breads:


Note:
I use frozen biscuits instead of canned because I think they turn out much lighter and fluffier.
Canned biscuits will work fine, though. 

On a microwaveable plate thaw 6-8 frozen biscuits for 3-4 min. You are only trying to bring them close to room temperature where they are pliable and easily pulled apart.

Line a cupcake pan with a dozen cupcake papers. The taller the papers are ...the better.
It holds in all the goodie!!

Melt 1/2 a stick of butter in the microwave. Set aside.

Mix about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of sugar with 2 tablespoons of fresh ground cinnamon in a separate bowl and set aside.

Pull the biscuits apart into 6-8 pieces and toss in the cinnamon sugar mixture.

Spoon about 4-6 pieces of sugared biscuits into a cupcake liner. Add a spoonful of the cinnamon mixture on top and then drizzle about a tsp or so of the melted butter on top.  Do this for each cupcake liner. (6-8 frozen biscuits should make a dozen monkey breads.)

Bake at 375 degrees for 12 min.

For a delicious glaze my favorite trick is to buy a tub of cream cheese cake frosting and thin it down just a bit with some milk and drizzle it over the top of the monkey breads once they come out of the oven.

However if you do not have the  tub frosting on hand, you can also mix a cup of powdered sugar with a tsp of vanilla and 1-2 tablespoons of milk. This should make a simple thin, pourable glaze.

Since the mini monkey breads are in cupcake liners - they are easy to handle and don't make a big mess during clean up. 

These monkey breads are also perfect for a big family meal or for freezing. You can just pull out how many you need for the next day's breakfast.

I hope they are a BIG hit at your house!!
Let me hear from you...

Blessings,
Brandy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!