Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 11 - Clutter Free Testimonies and Embracing Your Authority!

Hi girls! 


Welcome back to our final week of Glynnis Whitwer's Clutter Free Challenge!
I hope this Monday finds you inspired to make some new organizational changes around your home, in your daily planning, and even in your thinking. 
I honestly think our minds need de-cluttering THE MOST!


Now for a few of my own de-cluttering testimonies: 


#1:  In the spring I recently cleaned out my very messy garage. Let me tell you...THAT was a challenge for me!! 
In doing so, I came up with a plan for all of those "dreaded" boxes and bags of papers and keepsakes I haven't had time to deal with. I stacked up a neat pile of boxes and bags in the corner of my garage where I can easily get to them. Then I made this deal with myself.  At least 1 or 2 times a week, whenever I decide to relax and watch a movie in the evening after dinner, I have to go pick at least 1 box to go through as I sit in my recliner. And you know what? For some reason  dealing with 1 box at a time - from the comfort of my easy chair - while watching a movie...works like a charm for me. You have to understand, these are boxes that have been collecting dust in my garage for YEARS! Sweet freedom!!


#2: I love to ask the Lord to show me a way I can bless someone with something I already have in hand.
The other day, as I felt the nudge of the Holy Spirit, I opened up my linen closet and began pulling out sets of sheets, pretty pillow cases, lace doilies, a quilt, kitchen towels, and even some fun Country Living magazines! It was a perfect opportunity to organize my closet! When I was finished - I called a friend up and asked if I could drop by - sharing that I had some goodies I thought she might like for her guest room in her home. She then proceeded to share that my call had come at just the "right time", uplifting her very overwhelmed and frustrated heart. When I ran by her office a little later that morning to drop off all of the pretty things ...she had a bounce in her step and a gratefulness in her smile. She felt cared for and pampered and it showed. 
The most amazing part was how God used this experience to bless MY HEART! I was aware that morning  that the Lord was using me at just the "right time" to remind this beautiful woman of His faithfulness, His goodness, and how He was watching over her and it was such a cool experience. 


#3: Finally, about 2 months ago I cleaned out my closet, getting rid of all sorts of clothes and shoes that I donated to a thrift store. A week later a dear, sweet friend called me up saying she had been cleaning out her closets, and was going through her clothes and shoes and wanted to know if I had need of anything. She buys only beautiful, quality brands! She said she had LOTS of nice pieces she would like to me to come over and try on and that we could make a fun girl's day of it. 
After I got off the phone with her that day I just broke down and cried. 
God knew and was providing for my needs AND desires!  


I hadn't bought anything new for myself in quite a long time. You ladies understand this....many times we women buy for our kids or even our husbands, before purchasing what we may want and need. Well that was the case for me and to be honest I just didn't have the funds to buy myself anything new. Since I quit my job a year ago to be at home with my daughter...well money just isn't viewed the same. When the Lord provides ...it is normally for food and bills...not pretty new clothes, or shoes.


Well my friend blessed my socks off... to say the least!!!
It was surreal....like walking into a department store with tons of beautiful clothes and shoes and walking out with sacks and sacks of beautiful treasures without paying a dime! 
I am not exaggerating. I know I made it home that day with about 20+ new outfits and 8 new pairs of shoes! I cried all the way home! I felt so cared for and pampered.  Sounds familiar doesn't it? Lol! God wants to bless us just as much as He wants to use us to be a blessing to others! 


So, the moral of my story is this: clean out and make room... for God's wonderful increase and blessing in your life! He has SO much in store for you!


Happy Monday! 
Brandy
Posted: 22 Jan 2012 08:47 PM PST

Welcome to Day 11 in our Clutter-Free Challenge.  

Only five more days to go.  As we wrap up our time together, I want to remind you of something I said in the beginning.  I never expected anyone to be able to do this in 15 days.  However, I do hope I given you encouragement to make some immediate changes in how you process your responsibilities, manage your schedule and de-clutter your home. Even one change will make a difference.

Before I get into today’s challenge, I want to announce the winner of my book, “I Used to Be So Organized.”  Based on a random selection, I’m happy to announce that Kimberly, who posted a comment January 20th at 8:30 p.m. is the winner.  Thank you to everyone who posted and all the fabulous ideas.   I will have another giveaway at the end of the week.  Kimberly, I’ve sent you an email.

Today we are going to talk about our main living areas.  If your house is like mine, there’s a lot of living going on in these spaces, and lots of clutter that gets left on tables, chairs and the floor.  It  requires daily maintenance to keep these areas de-cluttered.  But it can be done.  And once you make some foundational changes it will be easier.

I've got some practical tips, but first I want to share some thoughts … thoughts that might help you overcome the common avoidance of dealing with clutter.  There are two principles that keep me motivated when I get weary of maintaining my home.  The first deals with conveying authority.

In Proverbs 31:11 says “Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.”  Whether you are married or not,  conveying confidence to those around you happens over time.  Confidence is built up through consistently doing what we say we will do.  You cannot demand someone trust you; we all see past words and evaluate actions.

However, a woman who quietly brings order to her home conveys confidence and authority without ever saying a word.  Our husbands’ trust grows when we can find the passports before a trip.  Children can tell mom is in control when she pulls out the permission slip from a handy file.  We all have been given some level of authority over our homes, even a college student renting a room.  Do we manage with authority or is there chaos? Are we conveying trust or insecurity?

The second principle which motivates me is based on the parable of the talents found in Matthew 25:14-30.  I won’t take the time to summarize, but please review the passage when you have time.  The verse that rings in my head is 23:  “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!”

I’m convinced  God is watching to see how we handle every responsibility He gives us.  He longs to give all of us more responsibility, but we must prove ourselves faithful with what we have – no matter how little or how much.  I apply this verse to my health, my finances and my home.  I can wish I had more all day long, but if I squander what I have, I’m simply not a good investment.

Having said all that hard stuff, I am SO THANKFUL FOR GRACE.  I’ve fallen short so many times.  At the end of the day, I’m just a dressed-up mess.  Instead of giving me what I deserve, God generously showers me with good things. He forgives my sin and sympathizes with my weaknesses.  And it’s in my weakness that His strength is revealed.  So if you are feeling weak today, please invite God to be your strength.  He is faithful.

I know I got off subject there, but I believe the Lord wanted me to share that.  If that message was for you, I’d love to know.

Let’s move on to some practical tips for de-cluttering your living spaces.  There are two main reasons for clutter.  The first involves items that have a home but aren’t in their home. An example would be remote controls sitting on the table next to the box you bought for the remote controls.  (ahem – yes, this happens in my house) This is a discipline problem, not a clutter problem.

The second is items that have no home. This problem never gets better on its own.  And the older you get the worse it gets, what with all the tchatchkes we collect and are given. What to do with it all?  Here are some ideas for common clutter items:

Little treasures
  • A glass-enclosed curio cabinet.  Twenty years ago, my husband bought me a six-foot high, two-foot wide class case.  It sits right by my front door where I can see all my little treasures, safely tucked away, and dust free.
  • Give items to family now.   If you’ve got children, nieces or nephews, plan to share some of your treasures with them now.  This can be an inexpensive Christmas or birthday gift.  It blesses both of you.
  •  Give items away.  Find a ministry helping people be independent after a trauma.  This could be a battered women’s shelter, refugee ministry or a recovery program.  Your beloved items could bring hope and healing to someone else.
  •  Sell on e-Bay or at a consignment center.   If you need to make some money, consider selling your extra items.  A good digital camera, and packing material, is all you need to sell online.
  • After my father passed away, my mother created shadow boxes for my sister and me.  She carefully arranged little items my father collected over the years in this box.  For example, his army pins, a pipe and his school ID (he was a teacher).  This is one of my most treasured items.
Remote controls
  • Store remotes in a decorative box on the coffee table.
  • Buy or make a fabric remote holder that fits over the arm of a couch or chair.
  • Install a wall-mounted basket by the television
  • Put a box or basket by the television.
Blankets
  • A chest of drawers can serve as an end table and storage for items like blankets.
  • Position a quilt hanger by the couch.
  • A vintage-looking sea chest can double as a coffee table and blanket holder.
Craft supplies & games
These items can take up lots of space.  Store them in boxes you can stack to make the most of your space.  Consider storing games behind closed doors of an armoire or entertainment center to minimize visual clutter. If the game box is damaged, transfer game boards and pieces to specially designed plastic game-keepers sold at specialty organizing stores.

For crafts, consider a rolling organizer with multiple drawers that can be tucked in a closet while not in use.  A cubby system with boxes covered in wallpaper to match your design could fit nicely in a niche.  Make labels for each drawer or box.

Toys
Unless you have a designated playroom, keep most toys in bedrooms.  For a quick pick up, keep a large basket with a lid in the living room.  Rolling bins make clean up fun when a child can roll it back to her room.

Multi-media
Plastic boxes multiply like rabbits at a home with growing children.  Whether it’s a CD, DVD or video game box, it needs to be stored in a crush-proof place.  Consider adding pull-out drawers to deep shelving so that items in the back can be easily seen.  A specially-designed media tower protects boxes and keeps the titles visible.

Framed photos
Consider a collage of photos on the wall instead of cluttering the surface of an end or sofa table with frames.  Choose a common frame color, and complementary matting to make a design statement.

Extra storage options
Make furniture do double-duty.  Invest in accent tables with shelves and drawers.  If that’s not an option, store items in large baskets tucked under tables.  A chest can serve as a coffee table, or a bench with cushions.  And go vertical when you can.
That was a lot for one day.  Thank you for sticking with me to the end.  Please join me tomorrow when I talk about cleaning out your kitchen.  Fun stuff!!

Grace & Peace,

Glynnis

Heavenly Father, thank You for entrusting me with a place to call home, a body to care for and finances to manage.  I admit that I often fall short of where I want to be in many areas.  Sometimes I grow weary dealing with the same issues every day, and need a fresh breath of Your Spirit to fill me up.  I long to be a woman who stewards well her responsibilities, and know I’m in desperately need of Your help and strength.  In Jesus name, Amen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember this Clutter Free Challenge was posted by Glynnis earlier in the year. Any reference to the January dates of the challenge, and her book or gift card  giveaways, etc. no longer apply. 

Of course you are always welcome to subscribe to Glynnis' blog. 
You can find her at www.glynniswhitwer.com

1 comment:

Leave me a comment!